TuzlaDailyPhoto

City on a grain of salt. Tuzla means a place of salt and it lays on top of the salt lake. It is suspected it has been there for around 7000 years as one of the oldest places in Europe.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Behram Begova Medresa




Behram Beg medresa – Islamic school was established in 1626 and has been working for 323 years.
The school building has been built in a
Pseudo Moorish architectural style in 19th century, and was reconstructed many times afterwards.

In the 1949 on the 15th of January after the winter brake, 100 attending pupils were informed that the school will be closed until further notice (unknown reason to me). School has never reopened again in this location, and that year only 24 pupils continued their schooling in Sarajevo.
The building was knocked down in 1974. and the only part that remained was the school gate, which you can see in this photo. The gate was restored first time in 1975 then 1990 and once more after the war in 1997.

Forty four years after the door closed The Behram Beg school has reopened at different location and now includes boarding facilities attached to the new mosque.


Have a nice week ahead.

12 Comments:

Blogger Olivier said...

cette ecole est superbe. et merci pour l'histoire qui va avec.
peut-etre un jour une photo de la nouvelle mosquée ?


this school is superb. and thank you for the history which goes with. perhaps a day a photograph of the new mosque?

06 November, 2006 05:01  
Blogger Kris said...

from this photo, i thought its a lovely structure. Then I read that only the gate remains, its a sad history.

You have a nice week ahead, too!

06 November, 2006 08:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing story behind this building. Great colours.

Jazzy I just only discovered today your 01 October post about the Umbrella Repair Man. Both the photo and the job are wonderful!!!!
I bought a couple of umbrellas recently and both broke a few weeks later, and the same applied to my latest vacuum cleaner, toaster and electric kettle. And I didn't buy the cheapest every time. I am just sick and tired of all this stuff we consume and throw to waste. Give me a good umbrella that I'll keep a loooong time and that I'll give to fix when need be!
I am glad your post raised the ENORMOUS and GLOBAL question of consumerism.

06 November, 2006 13:10  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, it's been so long as it is still standing still. Moorish designs always reminds me of the Railway Station in Kuala Lumpur

06 November, 2006 16:45  
Blogger JaamZIN said...

looking at your photo and reading only the beginning of your post I was thinking how 100 pupils could get into this small building. But then mr smart read further and now I know its only the gate. Wonderful place.

06 November, 2006 19:24  
Blogger Meg said...

For a minute, I did wonder about 100 pupils in this gate, also, but what a sad story. I am glad the school has finally reopened. Wonderful photo.

06 November, 2006 21:10  
Blogger Wendi said...

The color and shape in this photo are wonderful. Interesting history behind it as well!
Wendi

07 November, 2006 00:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a stunning piece of architecture taken on a beautiful day.

07 November, 2006 01:23  
Blogger ~tanty~ said...

Nice photo and thank you for the information.
Thank you also for visiting my blog so faithfully while I'm away. I really appreciate it :)

07 November, 2006 05:18  
Blogger Kala said...

great history! Its amazing the information you seem to find and provide!

07 November, 2006 10:41  
Blogger Curly said...

I love the colour and texture of this building Jazzy, one of those that you can't miss I suppose.

Curly's Photoshop

08 November, 2006 00:07  
Blogger Kim said...

I live in a country whose recorded immegrant history starts only 400 years ago. To read of this school's history and realize how anchient is the rest of the history of your city, is very wonderful to see. Great photo.
-Kim

09 November, 2006 19:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home