TuzlaDailyPhoto

City on a grain of salt. Tuzla means a place of salt and it lays on top of the salt lake. It is suspected it has been there for around 7000 years as one of the oldest places in Europe.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

'erbs 'r' us


This is a nasturtium Tropaeolum majus L. Apart from looking pretty, the leafs are very tasty and are used in salads, they taste of horseradish and apparently they’re very nutritious. This plant is widely spread in Bosnia, you can see it in most gardens.

Salut to Eric.

Have a nice weekend.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tim Rice said...

The nasturium is most beautiful. I never knew before that its leaves could be eaten. Thanks.

14 October, 2006 04:46  
Blogger Kris said...

lovely photo, Jazzy!
nutritious...does it mean "bitter"? hahah

14 October, 2006 08:46  
Blogger ~tanty~ said...

Lovely picture today. I like the contrast of the colors!

14 October, 2006 09:57  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Tim - yes, i have eaten it, my mom grows it in her garden and it's great with other greenery.

Kris - thanx =) it's exactly like horseradish, a bit on a hot side.

Tanty - thanx, yes i like the colours too.

14 October, 2006 10:07  
Blogger Kala said...

a beautiful flower and nutritious - what could be more perfect! =)

14 October, 2006 10:58  
Blogger Kate said...

Daily bloggers give us feasts for the eyes, and now you have given us some hints to improve our cuisine. I like the contrasting colours, too.

14 October, 2006 13:41  
Blogger Candice and Megan said...

I love the beautiful color of the flowers...and I LOVE horseradish! I would definitely have it in a salad if I could! :-)

14 October, 2006 17:04  
Blogger Felicia said...

LOL Jazzy - I know you like spicy food! We have lots of these same flowers here but in orange. I never thought of eating the leaves though - maybe I will swipe a few leaves from my neighbor and try it.

16 October, 2006 08:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home