TuzlaDailyPhoto

City on a grain of salt. Tuzla means a place of salt and it lays on top of the salt lake. It is suspected it has been there for around 7000 years as one of the oldest places in Europe.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"Why are you not here?"


This is an art installation in the centre of the city which is called "Why are you not here?" to mark 11th year from the massacre in Srebrenica.
These are small coffee cups put on the map of B&H and they are filled with just made coffee but they will remain undrank, it's a symbolic gesture for all those who brutally lost their lives and they will not come around for a coffee. These cups are collected from the families from Srebrenica and from Bosnian families from Burlington area.

In our country we socialize a lot trough coffee, and we say to each other "why you're not coming for a coffee?".

I feel now I should add a few links for those who are interested more in the whole thing. At first I didn't want to bore you but it was important for me to put it for everyone to see it.

Aida Šehović has fist shown this installation in Sarajevo on the 11th of July 2004 and than on the 11th of July 2005 in New York in front of UN on the 10th anniversary and this year in Tuzla. Here you can see the poster of the exibition in Tuzla.

First time she used 1327 cups of coffee, second time 1937 cups of coffee who represented number of unidentified and berried people and in 100 of those cups she put sugar inside for all those who died and didn't have 18 years of age, and this year she included more than 2000 cups of coffee.


18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely. I love coffee but I add milk and sugar ;)

11 July, 2006 12:59  
Blogger Kala said...

fascinating - is there any Starbucks there? I ask only because I heard theres a Starbucks in france now

11 July, 2006 13:01  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Hello Kala,
No we don't have any Starbucks in Bosnia, we have lots of little cafés very similar to Italy.
Thank you for stopping by and for all your nice comments.

11 July, 2006 13:23  
Blogger Kris said...

sad but creative!
and great way to start friendship over coffee :)

11 July, 2006 14:04  
Blogger Oleanderman said...

Important and dignified. Good post.

11 July, 2006 19:09  
Blogger Ryan said...

I miss the Bosnian coffee. I make here sometimes with a coffee set I purchased in Zenica. You should warn your readers about the last drink from those cups! =)

11 July, 2006 20:28  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Thank you all for visiting my page today and for your comments.

OCP I'm glad you still have Bosnian coffee now and than, it's very good and everyone should try it sometimes.

11 July, 2006 22:35  
Blogger Katja R. said...

Hello Jazzy! my friend Owen sent me a link to your blog, because he likes it, and felt I should see it. A unique tribute. I became very fond of Bosnian coffee when I visited BiH the first first time in 1998.
Coffee is the one drink all three peoples can dafinatly have, and for Americans, coffee has to do with our own independance struggle against England over 200 years ago. Patriotic Americans boycotted tea due to a tax on tea and perhaps you have heard of the Boston Tea Party?
So anyway for both American people and Bosnian people coffee is important. This is a very touching tribute.

11 July, 2006 23:39  
Blogger Juggerpix said...

Wow... very much a strong piece of art. Its far more personal than a standard stone memorial or statue or bronze plaque. You are reminded these are people.

Very nice

11 July, 2006 23:54  
Blogger Manuel Tendero Gil said...

hola unasfotos muy buenas un saludo

12 July, 2006 00:51  
Blogger Anne said...

Wow this is the first time I have heard of a commemoration using cups of coffee...very personal. I hope it will continue for the years to come.

12 July, 2006 02:44  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Thank you all for visiting my page and for your kind comments.

12 July, 2006 12:54  
Blogger edwin s said...

thank you for a wonderful post. it makes me warm inside, though sad, to know there are people who remind of where we are going.

12 July, 2006 17:52  
Blogger Kim said...

This installation is a very moving tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us.
-Kim

12 July, 2006 19:15  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Hello Noémi thank you for your lovely comment, I'm glad you like my hometown and please stop by whenever you can.

13 July, 2006 20:08  
Blogger tata said...

I almost cried when reading this post...

14 July, 2006 15:41  
Blogger Sally said...

That is so moving, something I will remember. Thanks.

Why can't the world be like photobloggers and revel in each others' similarities and differences instead of having to fight and kill? **sigh**

14 July, 2006 16:55  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you for the photo, the explanation, and the link.

20 July, 2006 15:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home